Thursday 29 April 2010

Oh charity oh goloruis charity!

Charity yer I do bit within my marketing course this year 2010 we were given the task of doing an event for charity a group of five of us choose Kids in Sport a charity that helps disadvantage kids play sport we raised over £250 for the charity on the day. But since then I've taken it upon myself to volunteer for the charity on regular basis so yer basically I do my bit.

From my lecture with Ruth on charitable giving I learnt many factors of which affect peoples behaviours when giving to charity so Ill run through them and give you my own take on them. Personal disposable income so basically rich and well of people who have nothing better to spend their money on I suppose its better than spending it on hard class A drugs. Life experience which I feel heavily influence people if you have lost some through a disease that a charity is fighting then you will feel some emotions towards this charity thus for feeling the want if not the need to give to them. I haven't myself lost anyone through a disease but I regularly give to cancer research just based on my values systems which is a factor that will influence people to give to charity and that doesn't mean I give because my values are that if ever get cancer I can say get that sick boy out that bed I probably paid for that you couldn't be further from the truth. Advertising campaigns can also affect people behaviours towards giving to charity please take time to look at the video below.




How can you say after seeing that advert that the thought didn't cross your mind that you should give to the NSPCC. Although advertiser cant plant that seed in your mind it is only you that can make a difference (I sound like a charity advert now) so advertising is defiantly an effective way of effecting peoples behaviour when giving towards charity's.

Now to get into the nitty gritty of charitable giving with some exciting figures from you guessed are no it all friend Mr mintel. Hi there Mr mintel. Hi there george. Ok ill stop now according to mintel figures on a repot on charity in 2008 Age is key with 35% of 16-24-year-olds falling into this group. If 16-24s were to be positive but inactive at the rate of the average population (26%), this would equate to the charity market missing out on a potential 725,000 well-meaning consumers. Missing out on large gap in the market on young charitable givers this could be down to many reasons lack of disposable income, the recession or is it just the lack of interest in giving to charity in that age group. So what are char ties doing to help the younger generation get involved in charitable giving mintel states in the same report that Charities are increasingly using celebrities to help raise awareness and generate funds, with a new wave of younger celebrities getting involved. Is this new wave younger celebrities a choice by charities to appeal to younger audience I can not say but the underling fact is there is a gap in the 18-24 year old market for charities which is begging to be filled.

Although one fact is clear from mintel is that the total sector income and income per charity have risen and that there are a huge number of charities in the UK market, and relatively few newcomers. Which indicates that although the market seems to be full with little room for new charity's the market is still growing. Its could also indicate in my further analysis that and increase in the number of charities in the market could result in a lack in specific growth in smaller charities due to overcrowding in the market never the less this is me analysing this at 1 in the morning drinking coffee mintel reports show forecasts that the UK charities market will grow by an estimated 46% to reach a value of £7.3 billion at current prices over the period 2007-12. In real terms, with inflation for all items taken into consideration, this represents a 32% rate of growth. Which possibly deters the point I've just made and that most likely because charity's are good thing there will always be growth within the market.

To finish of this blog Id like to make a bold and obvious point charity is good thing its can make us feel good and give the people that suffering a chance to feel good to but please don't stop me in the street asking if i want to sign up to charity an donate if I wanted to give to the charity of autistics owls I would so if you see me in the street just leave me alone I no your trying to make a difference whilst getting paid minimum wage but I don't care let me care about what I want to care about please. On that I say Aviour to my French Readers, hasta luego for my Spanish readers and get lost to my German readers. Just joking no one remembers the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment